Friends of Sengerema Hospital Foundation:
- Who we are: former interns of Sengerema Hospital from Amsterdam and Nijmegen (The Netherlands).
- We unite: former interns, family, friends and everyone who is connected to Sengerema in a special way.
- We support: the hospital with well-defined projects that are aligned with local needs.
- We guarantee: that your money is well spent for the good of Sengerema.
- We stand for: passion, involvement and transparency.
The origin of Friends of Sengerema Hospital
For over 40 years, Dutch interns have been visiting Sengerema Designated District Hospital (SDDH). During this time, many of them have collected money for the hospital and have started and completed small projects.
The idea behind Friends of Sengerema Hospital originated after a collection action was done for Mama Elizabeth. She has been working in the ‘interns house’ for over 25 years, doing groceries, cooking and always there for a friendly conversation. She is always able to put a smile on your face in the most difficult times. Her hip was so severely worn that she urgently needed a hip replacement, which she was unable to pay for herself.
Thanks to former interns Maik Grundeken and Femke Boot, a substantial amount of money was collected and thanks to support of former interns, family and friends, an operation could successfully be performed. It became clear, that many former interns, currently working as doctors, and their families and friends, still look back on their time in Sengerema with warm heartedness and are still dedicate to support the hospital.
We therefore decided to combine our efforts as former interns and in this way started to structurally support the SDDH. Friends of Sengerema Hospital was officially founded in August 2011.